I’ve got..hearts! Wait..it’s not valentines…so what must it be? Am I infatuated with a certain someone? Ooooh. Did I bake with hearts aflutter?
Ehh..No. Haha. Too bad. I don’t even have a crush on anyone. Boring. What I do have is a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Yay!
I usually see coconut macaroons balled up or scooped instead of being flattened for sandwiches so I wanted to try this out when I saw Donna Hay make this in her tv show. It’s funny because I just saw the last minute of the episode when she was sandwiching ice cream in between these babies. Yumm! Then I find out these only had 3 ingredients, awesooooome!It’s too cold for ice cream sandwiches sooo had to smoosh something else in between them and what better than going crazy with ganache. It looks incredible all melty, chocolatey and tempting. It was also a bit sticky and messy and a whole lot of fun. Haha. Of course I could’ve err should’ve waited for the filling to cool further but …whatevs. Anyways if you cool the ganache the process of filling is easier. See?Slip,slop , slap chocolate plus coffeeeeeBut then if the chocolate isn’t melty enough you wouldn’t be able to play with it like this.Oh the chocolatey joy. My sis said they’re like tiger stripes. Tiger striped top macarooooons. Yay!
Then serve them :) Gahh i didn’t realise how beautiful the light at the dining room was at 4 in the afternoon. Well y’know…on a good winter’s day.Okiedokie that’s all folks. Try them they’re super easy. :)
Coconut Macaroon Sandwich Hearts with Chocolate Coffee Filling
Coconut Macaroons from Donna Hay
2 cups desiccated coconut
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg whites
Chocolate Coffee Filling adapted from this post
3/4 cup chocolate buttons
1/4 cup reduced cream
2 tsp instant coffee, use a strong blend
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Mix coconut sugar and egg whites until they come together. They will. Don’t add anything else.
- Use an egg ring or a (heart shaped) cookie cutter to form the macaroon shape. Place 2 tbsp of the coconut mixture into the cookie cutter–which is placed on top of a baking sheet. Flatten this using the back of a teaspoon. Then slowly lift the cookie cutter. (mixture makes 16 cookies sooo 8 sandwiches)
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- To make the filling melt the chocolate in the microwave, mix until it’s well melted.
- Add the reduced cream to the chocolate and mix well.
- Add the instant coffee and mix mix mix.
- Cool the ganache for a few minutes then sandwich in between two coconut macaroons.